Thursday, August 27, 2009

Tomato Sauce Recipes

Last week I posted on the tomato sauce I made. Heather asked me to post the recipe. There are actually 2 recipes that I've used to make tomato sauce. Both are from the US Department of Agriculture Extension. These recipes are tested for safety by the USDA, so we don't have to worry about spoilage.

The first recipe is:
(Click on the recipe for an enlarged view. You can also click on the processing time chart.)

The 2nd recipe is my husband's favorite, due to the spicy peppers I put in. It takes more effort to char the pepper skins and remove them, but the end result is quite tasty:
(Click on the recipe for an enlarged view. You can also click on the processing time chart.)

In all honesty, I don't always follow the recipes/rules shown here to the letter. Sometimes I might not have on hand one of the veggies that is listed. For example, I don't want mushrooms in my sauce, so I don't use them. Sometimes I only have 15 lbs of tomatoes, so I halve the recipe. I really don't think it matters, as long as we keep the tomato-to-other veg ratio pretty constant. Tomatoes provide acidity, which helps prevent spoilage. Happy canning!

4 comments:

Autumn Belle said...

I love pasta. The tomatoe sauces will fit in nicely. Thanks for the recipes.

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

How timely, Jackie! I was thinking what to do with all overripen tomatoes...

Stefaneener said...

Hmm, spicy pasta! I figure that I'll know more how I feel about my spaghetti sauce after eating this year's!

Heather @ what's blooming this week said...

Thanks for posting the recipe, Jackie. I wish I'd seen it before I went to the market and passed over the bushel of tomatoes. Oh well, next weekend is a long weekend so it's on the "to-do" list for them.

They both look good, but I think I'll try the traditional sauce for mass quantities and use your Mexican sauce as a change-up.

IF and I do say IF I get them done, I'll post the results on my blog in early September.

Take care
Heather