Friday, September 4, 2009

Old Canning Jars Are Brought Back to Life

My husband's grandmother (Nanna) gave me her old canning jars:
I love this old box that she kept them in. The company who made the jars seems quite proud of the "magic button". Maybe it had just recently been introduced.

Nanna also gave me some lids and rings. I thought this was a fun picture that compares the old with the new...the rings themselves haven't changed. The lids have changed a little bit and packaging has certainly changed a lot.
I wonder how old the jars and lids are...Nanna is 80... One of the jars commemorates the 200th birthday of the US. It proudly shows the liberty bell and the dates 1776-1976. So they might be from the 70s. A few jars look older than that to me, because they have a strange dent in the bottom. My husband thinks the dent was placed on the jars, so that the factory machinery could grab onto it as the jars were being made. May your gardens prosper and your jars seal!

6 comments:

Autumn Belle said...

This is a priceless collection of antique jars, Jackie. How nice.

Stefaneener said...

What a lovely gift! I treasure my two blue glass half-pints, but I use them anyhow.

Chloe m said...

Nostalgia big time here! My mom was a superb canner and still is. Too bad I did not pick up this skill. good luck!
Rosey

Teresa said...

Fun to look back. It's great when people appreciate old things that were used by people we know and love.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you are gearing up for the big harvest! I wish I did more canning. I need to get into the spirit of things!

Jackie said...

Thanks for all your comments. I enjoy canning for several reasons. It's a great way to save my hard-won, homegrown produce for later. It also saves a bit of money. Perhaps more importantly, when "putting up" veggies, I feel connected to my ancestors, especially my grandmother.