Tuesday, January 19, 2010

UN of seed packets

My grandfather was 1/4 Cherokee Indian. I like to think that I got some of those Cherokee genes. And maybe I did! This seems to be reflected in my seed purchase from Baker Creek, which is 1/3 Cherokee. It's also 1/6 Spanish, Italian, French, and English. A veritable UN of seed packets. And I didn't even realize this until I placed all of them on the table to take this picture:

I ordered Cherokee Trail of Tears black beans and Cherokee Long Ear popcorn, along with St. Valery carrots (French), Round Black Spanish radish, Early Purple Sprouting broccoli (English), and Romanesco Italia. The pumpkin is French (Rouge Vif D'Etampes) and was a freebie from Baker Creek.

Now, let's see if they can all get along together in my garden. The brassicas have been started and the root veg are in the ground!

5 comments:

Daphne Gould said...

I always do a double take when people tell me they are starting things like brassicas already. We got another snow storm yesterday. It is so pretty out, but it is not even close to planting time yet. Luckily I'm not yet sick of winter. Next month I'm sure.

Stefaneener said...

I bet I'm already behind. Hard to want to start seeds when the winter storms are keeping us hostage in the house. So much water!

Michelle said...

It is fun to travel around the world in your own back yard! This year I've got varieties that originated in Russia, Ukraine, Malaysia, Thailand, Brazil, Turkey, China, Spain, Morocco, Italy, and more...

I'm very interested to see how the Early Purple Sprouting broccoli does for you, I've always had such terrible aphid problems with it that I've never actually tasted it.

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Hi Jackie! It is a UN, indeed! I don't see any Russians although... Just kidding!

JP said...

I love the idea of a UN garden; there's no room for infighting or red tape there! I definitely have around the world tomato seeds this year - this would make a great kids garden, with plant tags that had country flags on them...