Thursday, May 27, 2010

Up close and personal with the chicks

Well, one of my chicks got a bit of diarrhea. And I knew which one of the 5 it was because it landed on me right before I was about to leave for work. Bless her heart she couldn't help it and I also noticed dried poo on her rear.

Being the good mother that I am, I worried. Like all good mothers everywhere of many different species.

So I called the feed store where I purchased them and asked for advice. The owner said they had been vaccinated, so it was probably no big deal...especially since the chick was still running around, eating and drinking just like the others. He recommended wiping the dried poo off with a damp paper towel. Ok, so it's not too bad. I can do that.

But just to make sure the guy at the feed store was correct in his chicken diagnosis, I also read some on the interwebs, since that's what I do whenever I have any kind of question. And bless the internet chicken-raisin' people. There posts were very helpful. Even going so far as to post pictures of their chickens' poo to show the large range of "normal". (I'm glad I saw this because, WOW, some of these really do not look normal.)

Ok, now, it's time for chicken butt wiping. There's no 'putting if off til later'. Boy, I really didn't expect to be doing THIS a week ago...or ever, for that matter. It was slightly traumatizing for the both of us, because: guess what? Dried chicken poo attached to booty feathers is hard to get off. Even with professional tools like damp, warm paper towels and toothpicks. But we perservered and finally she was released back to the flock. Thankfully, they didn't pick at her, even though her booty feathers were a little damp and matted. And now, although I'm still keeping a check on chicken booties, I think we're both over it :)

Here she is snuggling with my hunny!

1 comment:

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

Ah, the joys of 'pasting up'. It is good to keep an eye on them over the next few days, as it can recur, but they usually get it over it quite quickly. We just have to be diligent as substitute chicken mamas, and keep their rear ends clean.