Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Some plants are bad for the bees...

I just read an interesting article in the San Francisco Chronicle. Apparently, there are several California native plants (e.g. corn lilies, death camas, locoweed) that are toxic to non-native honeybees. Native (American) bees are immune to the toxin. Buckeye trees are among the worst for honeybees. It seems that some plants produce either pollen or nectar that can injure or even kill them.

Poor bees...they seem to be takin' it on the chin lately. But not in my garden...I've actually seen loads there lately. All over the lavender, squash, cucumbers, and tomatillos.

2 comments:

Stefaneener said...

Yes, there are many buckeyes here. I worry about them, but my girls have a real choice of pollen, so there shouldn't be a huge hit in the hives. Some hills seem to be all buckeye.

Michelle said...

I saw that article also. I never realized that honey bees could be affected by poisonous pollen - fascinating. The bees are into anything that is blooming in my garden right now, they are all over the Boston Ivy blooms.