Tuesday, March 30, 2010

When life gives you kohlrabi buds...eat them!

I planted purple vienna kohlrabi late last fall. They never formed bulbs, but I wasn't really surprised. This seems to be common among other vegetable gardeners. I pulled most of the plants in February, but left a few mostly because I think their leaves are pretty. And THEN I see THIS:
Trying not to get my hopes up, I snipped off the flower bud, gave it a quick rinse, and took a bite. Mmmm...tastes like broccoli. Several side shoots are forming and I'm just trying to snip them before any flowers open. So far, I've picked half a pound of kohlrabi buds from 2 plants...not bad!

5 comments:

heather @ what's blooming this week said...

cool. Isn't it nice to get a surprise like that?

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

Interesting...I wouldn't have thought to eat the buds. They do rather resemble broccoli.

Stefaneener said...

Well, the attitude is pretty good.

Meredith said...

Very nice! I love it when our vegetables surprise us even when we thought we'd failed. My winter radishes did that for me this year. :)

Dan said...

Interesting! Looks like purple sprouting broccoli.