Thursday, December 17, 2009

Seed Purchases - whom shall we trust?

I just read an excellent post by Chiot's Run titled "Say NO to GM vegetables". On the surface, this would seem like an easy thing to do. But as she points out, it's not so simple. As it turns out, most seeds companies aren't really seed companies in the truest sense. Many (most!) are in the Monsanto camp, and we all know how scary that is. There are some friendly options, though, like Baker Creek out of Missouri, with whom I just placed an order. By the way, if you are ever near Petaluma, CA, I just found out that Baker Creek has put in a seed "bank" store there. Looks awesome!
I also ordered from, TomatoFest, since I am (apparently) addicted to growing tomatoes. "Hi, I'm Jackie and I'm a tomato-aholic." If there are any other tomato-addicts out there, here is some info from the TomatoFest website:


"TomatoFest is your destination for finding the best tasting, non-hybrid, non-genetically modified, old-fashioned and rarest heirloom tomato seeds from around the world. Truly, the original tomato lovers paradise!

Since 1990, our mission has been to find what are considered to be the most favored heirloom tomato varieties from many different regions and family farms, to grow and harvest these tomato seeds, and to save tomato seeds in our seed bank to share with other gardeners around the world. Our intention is to sustain these precious heirloom tomato seed varieties so they may remain a vital and available food source for generations to come."

Wishing you a GMO- and Monsanto-free garden in 2010!

7 comments:

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

A seed bank, how interesting! I love TomatoFest, but I'm also a fellow tomato-aholic, as you can see from our tomato harvest post from this fall:

http://curbstonevalley.com/blog/?p=283

I get lost in the TomatoFest website for hours at a time. It's a great source for seed, but it's also a great source of information too. So many varieties. If I could only plant just one of everything...life would be perfect...all I need is a bigger garden!

Randy Emmitt said...

Jackie,

We buy our seeds from Territorial Seeds, unlike most seed sellers they grow all their own seeds. Meg's sugar snap peas were territorial seeds and were fantastic!

Gary Ibsen said...

Thanks for your interest in our TomatoFest heirloom tomato seeds...and the info about Baker creeks new Seed Bank building. I had heard about it but had not seen a photo until your blog.

Your blog is great! You have me inspired to consider a an ongoing blog myself (now if I weren't so afraid of how much time it might take me from the business of managing tomato seeds:)
We are already planning our planting of another 600 varieties of Certified Organic tomatoes for our 2010 harvest of heirloom tomato seeds.

Gary Ibsen said...

Thanks for your interest in our TomatoFest heirloom tomato seeds...and the info about Baker creeks new Seed Bank building. I had heard about it but had not seen a photo until your blog.

Your blog is great! You have me inspired to consider a an ongoing blog myself (now if I weren't so afraid of how much time it might take me from the business of managing tomato seeds:)
We are already planning our planting of another 600 varieties of Certified Organic tomatoes for our 2010 harvest of heirloom tomato seeds.

libraryflower said...

I have some seeds from Baker Creek and TomatoFest that I would like to share or trade. I've had good experiences ordering from both sites. But, alas, I just purchase more seeds than I can ever plant on my small lot.

http://yasiandrich.blogspot.com/2009/12/seed-share-2009-2010.html

I'm also interested in those sungolds you've been growing.

ybehpour AT gmail DOT com

Ellie Mae's Cottage said...

I buy most of my seeds from Johnny Seeds. It really does make a difference in the quality. I have to check out the TomatoFest.

Jackie said...

Hey Curbstone, I hear you about more space! My husband tried to get me to live in the country, but I wouldn't listen :)

Randy, glad to hear you've found a source that works for you!

Gary, I'm honored that you would visit my blog! If you do take the plunge and start one of your own, please let us know. I'm sure you would have a great following!

LibraryFlower, how generous to share your seeds! I emailed you about the sungolds.

EMC, TomatoFest will make you want to grow hundreds of varieties!