Sunday, October 31, 2010

We have eggs!

Lucy, the Barred Rock, laid her first egg on Monday morning at about 10:30am!  It was perfectly formed and weighed 1.5 ounces - putting it into the "small" category.  Lucy announced her egg-laying success in a "loud and proud" fashion!

She has since laid 4 more eggs.  Wednesday and Saturday were her days off.  Here latest eggs weighed 1.75 ounces (or ~49 grams).  I believe that the pullets are 24 weeks old, but there's a little uncertainty since I bought them at the local feed store.

This is the story that leads up to the egg:

Several weeks ago, I filled up the nest box with some wood shavings and placed three golf balls on top.  The idea is to give the pullets time to peck the golf balls (pseudo eggs) and get bored of that.  Then, hopefully, they won't ever become egg eaters.  Also the golf balls denote the "egg-laying spot" for future use. 

Well, last week, I noticed that someone (I mean some chicken :) was rolling the golf balls out of the nesting box and into the coop each day.  I didn't want anybody to start laying under the roosts in the coop, so, I decided to move the golf balls back into the nesting box.  On Sunday night, I forgot to do this.  But on Monday morning when I checked the nest box, Lucy had rolled the golf balls into their proper spot, like a champ.  Then, she proceeded to add her own version of a golf ball!

7 comments:

Casa Mariposa said...

That's awesome!!! I would love to have chickens!! Did you eat the egg? Will you let any hatch next year? :0)

Jackie said...

TS, yes we ate the egg...about 30 minutes after we found it! I don't have a rooster, so my eggs aren't fertile. But I would love to hatch some eggs. We are enjoying the chickens very much.

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

Whohoooo! Congratulations Jackie, or should I say Lucy! I see lots of omelets, fritattas, and perhaps a creme brulee or two in your future ;)

michelle said...

Yay! Congrats on the first eggs. Good girl Lucy.

Roslyn said...

Isn't it exciting. Her eggs will always taste better than any you can buy at a store as well.

Unknown said...

Hi Jackie, your website is great! I found it while searching for "Zenhenpen". Do you still like your coop? Anything you would do differently?

Congratulations on your first egg! We're getting chicks this week and I'm getting excited!

Jackie said...

Hi Lynn, yes, I still like my coop. I've since added a metal roof to the run area to keep it dry. Also, metal latches to keep the raccoons out. I have 5 pullets and they really don't like to stay inside the 3x8 run for very long, so that is something for you to consider. If you have a larger space where they can run around during the day, that would be good.

Best of luck with your new chicks! Keep us posted on how it's going.